
This is a family favorite. It's basically cornbread--with hotdogs in it, laid out lasagna style, hence the name, dogzana (pronounced dog-zawn-ya). It's basically corndogs--without the deep frying and without the stick! It can be way easy if you use a cornbread mix, but I "healthify" mine a little bit by using whole grain cornmeal and flour.
Here's my cornbread recipe: (you're going to want to write this down!)
1/2 c. melted butter or margarine
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 t. soda
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
Melt margarine and stir well with sugar. Add eggs and stir well. Combine and add buttermilk and soda (I don't ever have buttermilk, so I sour some milk with lemon juice, let sit for a few minutes, then add the soda, then let sit for a few minutes more). Add cornmeal, flour and salt and stir just until blended. Do not overstir!
Bake in a 9x13 pan at 375 for about 20 minutes. This makes a really thin cornbread that barely feeds my family of 8. But it bakes quickly and I like how crusty it gets when you bake it in a 9x13. If you prefer, you can use a smaller pan, just bake longer.
Okay, to make this into dogzana, pour it into the pan and line hot dogs up. Push them down into the batter so that the batter starts creeping up their sides. If you buy the bun length dogs, two dogs fit the length of the pan perfectly. I lined up 8 dogs, baked it for about 25 minutes to make sure the dogs were warmed through, added some ketchup, and voila! A meal!




And it was good!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt actually sounds pretty good. I like corn dogs and this really seems better. What if you added some canned chili. Yumm!!
ReplyDeleteOk this sounds gross but I do like corndogs... still probably won't try it!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try this one. My kids are such corndog lovers and they love hide-n-seek. This kindof combines the two! Thanks.
ReplyDelete